If you are a new member of the Corpus Christi Council 14132 or a seasoned member and have questions, this page is meant for you. We have listed some of the questions that are asked the most often. If you do not see your question asked, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page and someone will be happy to get back to you with the answer. Let’s get started.
1. What exactly is our council’s purpose? As you can see from the graphic above, the Knights of Columbus strive to be in service to one and in service to all. From the very foundation of the Council, our number one purpose was to assist our Pastor in any way possible. Those requests come in two general forms, man power and money. For example, we may be asked to provide man power to set up and take down chairs for Christmas Mass under the tent or pay for part of the meal for the Parish Christmas party. Our service priorities tend to be Parish, Community, Diocese, area. In a nutshell, the purpose of our Council is to serve others.
2. Do we gather volunteers or raise money for local causes? All the time. Council 14132 is a very active group of Brothers. In a given year we may be asked to provide support for a tent for the Celebration Marathon, provide four men to carry a canopy as part of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, or man the monthly Knights Bingo. We raise money through a variety of projects like monthly Bingo, an annual Golf Tournament, and the Knights Tootsie Roll drive. As an example of our donations, following the 2017 Golf Tournament, the Council gave out checks totaling over $14,000 to area charities.
3. Do we create events for charities or relations between the Knights and the community? Yes, we do. Each year we have multiple events put on by the Knights. Once the event has been completed and the monies totaled, the Council as a whole is asked to vote on how the funds should be dispersed.
4. Do we create initiatives for the church and surrounding community to work with and guide the youth? The Supreme Council of the Knights of Columbus stresses interaction with the youth of our Parish and the community. Each year Council 14132 may have a Soccer Challenge, a Free Throw Challenge, a Poster Contest, and each year we award a variety of scholarships based on the results of an essay contest. The youth of Corpus Christi Parish is frequent benefactors of the Councils fund raising efforts. In addition, the Council is always looking for new ideas on we can better serve our community.
4.Do we strive to recruit and mold new knights? And if so, are we looking to attract a specific age group?The Council, the District, the State Council and the Supreme Council are constantly stressing recruitment of new Knights. Council 14132 recognizes that the Council is only as good as its active members, so the more active members we have, the better the Council performs. The only criteria to becoming a Knight is that a Catholic gentleman must be over the age of 18 and be in good standing with the Church. If anyone is interested in joining the Knights of Columbus, simply ask a current Knight to provide you with a Form 100. Once the form has been filled out and signed, we will take it from there!
5. I am a new Knight. I have questions, who should I contact? If you check the Officers page of this web site, you will see photos of many of the officers. In addition, there will be email addresses listed under the name and title. Any officer would be happy to answer your questions. You may want to start with the Grand Knight for 2017-18, Tim Swisher. Tim’s email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
6. When are the meetings? The Council has two regularly scheduled meetings every month. The regular Council meeting is held the second Tuesday of every month at the Pastoral Center. If you are a member of the Knights of Columbus, you are welcome to join us starting at 7:30. In addition, on the fourth Tuesday of the month, also in the Pastoral Center, the Officers of the Council will meet. This meeting usually starts around 7:00. While only the Officers can vote at these meetings, any member of the Knights is welcome to attend.